Saturday, July 3, 2010

Happy Birthday America!


Today we celebrate the fourth of July! Not only is today America's 234th birthday it's a day of celebration where we show our pride for who we are. Americans. No matter race, gender or age today's America's birthday! Part of my tradition 11 years ago was to celebrate my father's birthday on the fourth of July even though he was born on July 5th 1949 he got a double birthday and it was fun. He was the life of the party with my family and knew how important holidays were to me and he knew just how to show who he was through the goofiness my hippie father was. Celebrations are all around as we would have a big family BBQ, we'd sit around play games, go watch the fireworks and be together.

On this day in 1814 the National Anthem was written by Francis Scott Key .. He happens to be a distant uncle of mine from way back which is pretty cool that the National Anthem was a poem before someone decided to put a musical tune to it. I know that people gave their life for me to be free as an American citizen. Recently historians have discovered that Thomas Jefferson wrote 'subjects' instead of 'citizens' on the Declaration of Independence. When the ink was still wet he smudged it away and rewrote the word 'citizens' I guess back then on parchment paper that was the form of white out. Today in memory of my father I will be going to the beach. My aunt and cousin are already there and tonight I can't wait for the festivities. I'm going out on a paddle boat in the middle of the ocean to watch the fireworks out on the water. They did it last year and the view was spectacular I can't wait to experience it myself! In my next blog [before the following weekend] I will post pictures. I believe on the fifth of July I will be too tired to post!

- Mandie

No comments:

Post a Comment