Thursday, July 8, 2010

Countdown begins!

The REAL countdown begins! Friday July 16, 2010 I will be driving to Austin, Tx where my grandmother is staying the week with my uncle as my mum and I will be in Alaska. On July 17, 2010 my mum and I will be flying from Austin, Tx at 9:50. There we make two stops. One in San Diego, California and then we do a hop stop to Sacramento, California. From Sacramento we change flights to board our final destination where we will be setting sail from the ports of Seattle, Washington.

A week from today I will be setting sail from Seattle, Washington!! I've never been to Alaska before and I can't wait for this cruise. It's much needed time away with the mum and I know she's needing this break just as much as I do. It's not like we don't love my grandmother or anything like that, she's one of the most precious persons in my life. Yet, being the caregiver of someone with Dementia it gets harder and harder on us everyday because deep down inside that crazy fun loving person is still there, her illness is just taking hold of her mentality to where it alters her personality and it's a frightening thought that someone who was in WWII, lied about her age to get in is now going through this. It's as if she's trapped inside of a personality which she doesn't want and you see often at times her true personality seeks adventure and she remembers about the 30's and 40's.

Hearing the stories of what she had done in her life is an amazing thing because it makes me realize who my grandmother was. She was a rock and stood firm in believing in things. She was a positive person who always had a headstrong personality and she was good at what she did. My grandmother was a nurse for nearly 56 years and she was a damn good nurse. Yet seeing her in this stage of life now is sad and the dementia has done a lot. It's put a lot of stress, strain, grief, and strife of me. With this vacation it's a way for my mum and I to be at peace and not have to worry for a week, though worrying is my main fear because I love her dearly, it will be a hard vacation to be without my grandmother for a week, but I do know that this trip will be one to remember for a lifetime with my mum.

- Mandie

No comments:

Post a Comment